Friday, April 16, 2010

Bouquet of Roses Birthday Cake - How I made Flowerpaste Roses




I can now make roses from flowerpaste! It was my birthday on Monday so I told everyone I’d like to make my own cake and we had a family get together. The cake was made up of layers of Coconut Mud cake from the Planet Cake Book and Chocolate Mud Cake, syruped and then covered with dark couverture chocolate ganache. Homemade fondant here.

old rose and piece of cake 16 april 2010 2 007

I thought it would be a good time to experiment again in making flowers out of flowerpaste and not allow my previous endeavours discourage me! old rose mandarineTwo years ago I’d tried making a couple of roses and they both really sucked so I gave up – my intention was for good. This is one of the roses I made at the time. See what I mean? Crap isn't it?

Anyway, I'm glad I changed my mind.

These videos are by Aine2 from Extra Icing on the Cake, who makes the most beautiful cakes. I used larger cutters than she did in the video – a 75mm (3”) and a 90mm (3 1/2”). The glue she’s using is 1 tsp Tylose (CMC) mixed with some 8 tbl (15ml tbl) warm boiled water and left to set a bit.

Flowerpaste Recipe (recipe from Cakes by Francesca)

500g fondant (sugarpaste) (I used fondant from the supermarket for this)

2 tsp Cream of Tartar

1 tsp Tylose (CMC) or gum traganth

1/3 tsp raw egg white

Copha or Crisco or vegetable fat

Rub copha over board. Knead fondant till pliable. Sprinkle Tylose and Cream of Tartar and knead in. Add egg white into a well in the dough. Mix well. Knead a very small amount (like about 1/16 of tsp) copha into the dough. Immediately wrap in glad wrap and then into a ziplock bag. Take out only enough to use immediately.

Syrup (Planet Cake)

100g Apricot Jam
100ml Hot boiling water
10ml Orange liquer
Mix all ingredients together with whisk.

Ganache

300 ml cream
600 g Dark Chocolate (couverture)

  1. Boil cream, take off heat (I use a double boiler).
  2. Combine with chopped chocolate and mix until the ganache is smooth.
  3. Let to cool completely, best to use it the next day.
  4. If ganache is too hard to apply on the cake it can be bought back to its right consistency by heating it in the microwave oven

6 comments:

Simply Life said...

WOW! I would never know how to do that - nice work!

michelle@TNS said...

whoa, gorgeous flowers, homemade fondant recipe...i am a truly inadequate baker.

Madhura Manoj said...

Awesome cake.Nice presentation.

Abby said...

They look like vintage ceramic roses. So beautiful! I'm impressed. (Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!)

Nimi SunilKumar said...

my my..Mandarine u r simply wonderful.I'm din 2 try out your recipe..
http://nimisculinaryventures.blogspot.com

Linda Vandermeer McCubbin said...

Sooo very pretty I am thinking of making one like this soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails